JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
ETL and Ab Initio experience? | Reply
Re: ETL and Ab Initio experience? (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
Anyone have any experience with these technologies? We've got a client in Virginia looking for a good developer with a background in ETL and/or Ab Initio
Just for my information.

What do these words mean?
Re: ETL and Ab Initio experience? (response to post by Olexiy) | Reply
ETL = extract, transform, and load

For an explaination see:
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid41_gci519447,00.html

Ab Initio is a company which provides solutions and products dealing with ETL.
http://www.abinitio.com
Re: ETL and Ab Initio experience? (response to post by meragrin) | Reply
ETL is generally related to data migration.

You may want to find some people with data mining and SEO.

Diamonds in the rough are people with GQL, old school Hummingbird, currently BI experience.

Anyone with Cobol is ok as well.

Don't know much about Ab Initio.

Hi John!! I've been too busy to get in any SRM's :(

Hehe Ab Initio returns a Physics Research Group at MIT as a second result on google...
Re: ETL and Ab Initio experience? (response to post by PuffRing) | Reply
For most companies, the challenge is getting relevant, timely customer information to employee desktops. For instance, a company might want its salespeople to have access to the latest profitability and product usage statistics about its customers.

The sources of this info are transactional applications (think check-out registers at the supermarket), which are hosted on bulletproof platforms like IBM mainframes. High security, reliability, and uptime.

However, the data is formatted for performance and reliability, not for querying. It's extremely difficult to read and process the large number of transaction records necessary to do the calculations to come up with, say, the total revenue for a store in a month. It's also very slow.

In contrast, relational databases are built for querying (they're not so good for transactional systems). Hence, ETL.

So for most companies, ETL is the process of extracting transaction data from a platform like an IBM mainframe, reformatting it into a query-friendly relational data model, and loading it into a data warehouse to support reporting and business intelligence.

Seems simple enough. The biggest challenge for companies is performance. I used to work for a large financial institution that wanted near-real time customer statistics for its sales force. It wasn't feasible to tie the reporting directly into the transaction platform, so we had to resort to daily updates. End of business was 6:00 PM and beginning of business was 8:00 PM. However, the entire ETL cycle took 18 hours. There wasn't enough time in a day to do the ETL.

Enter the ETL expert. With Ab Initio, we cut the load time to 4 hours. Tools like Ab Initio give you a great amount of control over exactly how records are read and written. Anyone who has worked with SQL knows that SQL doesn't give you that control. The goal is to read every input record only once, so you don't have to do multiple passes over the same data to do all of your calculations. (I may be oversimplifying; I'm an application owner and analyst, not an engineer.)
Hi,
Im having 5 yrs of Experiance and having 2.5 yrs in Ab Initio now im looking for Ab Initio Developer jobs?? is there any body having idea about Ab Initio and Ab Initio jobs ??

Thanks in Advance,,

with best wishes,,

Rupesh Reddy G
26140, W12 Mile Road
South Field, MI 48034
RSS