JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Anyone NOT looking for a job? | Reply
We've been emailing and contacting just about every Topcoder member in the U.S. who's out of school (and many who are still in school) over the past 4 months or so. Sometimes people get back to us, sometimes they don't. Sometimes we are able to find someone who is very happily employed at a great company with interesting and challenging work and excellent pay.

If you fall into that category we'd like to talk with you. We have many members and a limited number of job openings - if you're working for a great company let us know! Recently I was able to reach a member that was happy where he was. Instead of me trying to recruit him, he realized that his company needed more talented developers and that he'd love to work with other Topcoder members. He put us in touch with his management the next day. Within 2 days we had an agreement in place to begin recruiting for that company. Now we can offer yet another possibility to our members.

The more often this happens the more great jobs with great companies we'll have to present to Topcoder members. So.... Who's got a GREAT job????
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
Is it only Americans you want to hear from here?
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
If your company wants to use TopCoder's recruting services to hire lots of people, I bet they still would like to talk to you, even if you might, say, live on a foggy island and put a "u" in colour. But I imagine it is much easier for them to enter into legal agreements with businesses inside the states, thus making it not worth their while to do small jobs "offshore."
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
Or even "offshoure".
*Raises hand*

:-)
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
LOL!!!

Do you really want us to work with you???

[Or want a partner for help you posting in the forums :P]
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by Digibomb) | Reply
There are plenty of people in TopCoder that I'd love to have working with me. There are also a good number of people in TopCoder who are working here, but none that are close enough that I ever see them without trying to.
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
I wouldn't work there if they paid me to. Wait...
I am not looking for a job. Well, right at the moment anyway. And not for another decade if things go as planned. But... if these marathon matches keep being as interesting and time consuming as they have been, then it is quite possible that I could become so distracted from my work that I suddenly am looking for a job.

Was this TopCoder's evil master plan for running the marathon matches? Get coders fired so there are more available jobs and coders to place?
TopCoder needs to have the "Boss" button like some of the old games had which brought you to the C:\ prompt.

Now it is really hard to notice my boss coming and quickly open a non-TopCoder webpage.. and then not accidentally switch back to the forum/contest applet page while he is still next to me talking about being productive or some such crap..
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by harhazahavarye) | Reply
Actually, there should be a facility to "skin" the arena.

I would make a skin that mimicked Eclipse. That way no one would ever know I wasn't working.
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
Thats a cool idea...
I would never even consider working on any TopCoder stuff at work. That would be missuse of government resources resulting in an instant career change and possibly criminal charges.

I just worry that I rush home to work on the marathon match problem after a day of trying to not think about it and never get anything else done, at home or at work. Actually lately we have had so much work to do, it has been cutting into my marathon match time! (unimaginable but true!)
Yeah me neither. I would never work with/post in/ or even look at TopCoder at work. It would be wrong, immoral, and also probably fattening.

<Ok, boss left the room>

Where are the crazy monster threads for me to resurect?
Every packet that goes in or out of the site is recorded. All disks are backed up to central servers. They use search tools for combing through these piles of data. Effectively, there is never any "boss going out of the room." This is a little different than your average office network environment.
Wow! Who do you work for?
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
Never ask questions like this.

Or those people will show up next to your door. Even in such friendly to USA government country as Poland.
Re: Anyone NOT looking for a job? (response to post by TAG) | Reply
Rustyoldman's rusty old nukes can never reach Poland much less find Krzysan's house... so I think you are safe.
much less find Krzysan's house.

No needs to search for his house - nuke him while he is in Warsaw University.
Creative thinking - several targets (>3000 pts) with one nuke.
What are you talking about? The US government is recording every packet that goes through the main internet backbone.

It's not just you their watching!
I work on TC stuff in my lunch hour. I don't think it's any worse than other web-sites; in fact since you're learning algorithms and practising fast, efficient coding it's almost educational!
Not that you could convince your boss.

And while they can scan everything you do, can they spare the man-power to analyse all this data?
Try doing something illegal on your lunch hour using your company's equipment and see how that goes over with your boss. In any case, policies are set at a much higher level than individual bosses. What you can do on your job on your lunch hour in your tiny little company is quite different than what one would expect that can be done in a large secure government research facility.
If you are worried about spies leaking your data, can you afford not to analyse all the network traffic?
My company is large (about 300 in this building) and deals almost exclusively in government work. What I mean is, why is it worse for you to spend 30min solving an SRM problem than looking at random websites? Is it that they own all code you write at work?

Besides which, for the marathon problems you don't need much web-access. Do they examine all pieces of paper on which you did some thinking while eating your sandwich?
It is illegal to play games on our machines. It is illegal to do anything which might result in receiving money. It is illegal to download or stream video or audio (because it hijacks bandwidth, which is a government resource, imagine if all 8000 of our employees at this site steamed music all day) unless it is work related. Similarly, chat programs are not allowed (although this is partly because of virus propogation). The above are specifically outlawed, but much of anything else falls under the umbrella of misuse of government resources. Equipment is for specific work related purposes and any other use is considered misuse unless it is specifically authorized. For example, SETI@home: misuse. Some incidental uses are specifically allowed in our writen incidental computer use policy, such as shopping, but TopCoder clearly falls under the games, money and chat restrictions. Even non-money matches could easily be considered practicing for money matches and I would not want to have to fight that in court.

The reasons for all these restrictions include:
Security: Lots people want to spy on us. Spyware is a whole different universe here. Our security guards carry machine guns. The computer I use to surf at work is very visibly marked "for unclassified use only" because there are other options.
Visibility: Newspaper stories on how we spend our tax dollars on toys for employees and how employees goof off at work are not welcome.
Accountability: Yes they do own all the code I write at work. They also own any code I write outside of work if they feel it is "work related." And they pretty much get to decide what is work related. Using a government disk drive to store a copy of my TopCoder development environment in itself would be considered misuse of government property.

Working for a small private company doing government work is not the same as working directly for the government. We have so many layers of regulations I don't want to think about them. Logic is not important. The regulations don't have to make sense, but I have to follow them.
I was expecting a rude retort but that's actually very interesting. Presumably you are forbidden from saying anything to do even about the field of CS which you focus on?

Do they also monitor your home PC at all - if they are really security obsessed then they might want to check you don't leak anything? Is it possible they know your TC handle and check what you say and code for TopCoder contests?
Sure, I've got a great job :)

I won't go into many details, but if TC knows of any PHP programmers in Donetsk, Ukraine, I want to hear about them!
RSS