JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Career advice | Reply
I'm graduating with a Bachelor degree in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics very soon and am looking for a full time job to start my career. So far I have applied for probably 25 positions and only had 2 interviews. While I understand that rejection is part of the process, it gets very disheartening after a while.

Since I'm still in school and work part time, my free time to spend on looking for a job is very limited. In fact, I need to get back to finishing my term paper that is due tomorrow. After graduation, time won't be as much of an issue, so I plan on hitting the job search hard. Still, I'm not entirely sure where to start. I already have some ideas of how to change my resume, but I don't want to spend all my time rewriting it. Resume writing in itself seems like a never-ending process.

I guess one reason for this post is to get some advice about how to look for job openings. I use Monster on a regular basis. Many of the jobs I find there are targeted towards "senior developers" and people with at least a few years of experience in the work place. I've participated in summer internships during my college career, but I don't think that's enough for these types of positions. I've also talked to professors. They are willing to talk but have been unable to provide any leads.

Another major road block is that my relocation options are limited due to circumstance beyond my control. From the posts I've read here, this is an issue for many TopCoder members that are looking for employment. Because of this limitation, I'd really like to find a job where I can work from home, either telecomuting or contracting. The problem is that I don't know how to find these types of positions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with my job search? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Code-Guru
Subject Author Date
Career advice Code-Guru May 6, 2005 at 12:00 AM EDT
Re: Career advice harvey6ft May 6, 2005 at 9:16 AM EDT
Re: Career advice Code-Guru May 6, 2005 at 2:52 PM EDT
Re: Career advice dplass May 6, 2005 at 5:00 PM EDT
Re: Career advice dplass May 6, 2005 at 9:29 AM EDT
Re: Career advice Code-Guru May 6, 2005 at 2:40 PM EDT
Re: Career advice jhughes May 6, 2005 at 2:27 PM EDT
Re: Career advice nicomp Aug 4, 2005 at 2:41 PM EDT
Re: Career advice tolkienfan Sep 16, 2005 at 2:27 PM EDT