JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Disappointment at no contact/answers | Reply
I've written emails to TopCoder twice without getting any answers, so I'm going to post here instead.

I have had my profile submitted for quite a while now, saying I'm interested in employment, and as a yellow I thought I would get some interest back, but I've had nothing. Is this because my country of residence is New Zealand? I happen to have US Citizenship but there is no way of indicating that in the sign-up process. I suspect this is the main factor cutting me off, but it's an irrational problem, if so. I'm also quite sad to think that national boundaries are limiting the potential of those talented reds from outside America.

What I asked in my emails is how do you match candidates up with job postings? When filling in the employment services sign-up form I had to go through pages of technology acronyms and say whether I had any experience with them, which made me fear that there's some database matching involved cutting me out of the process for not being up with the latest buzzwords.

I really don't like this idea because I think specific technologies have so little to do with being a good software developer. What about design ability? Communication skills? Interest in and practice of efficiency?
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by Parchandri) | Reply
I'm not sure we have seen the emails you sent, can you provide me with the email address to which you sent the emails?

In regards to citizenship and countries the 2 main things we will look into are: 1) If you are authorized to work in the US, and 2) Your current address. Some companies only want to speak with candidates that reside in the US and are authorized to work in the US. Other companies are more open to speaking with candidates from around the world but H1-B sponsorship at times can be prohibitive. Basically it all comes down to the hiring company’s requirements.

The matching process will also depend mostly on the hiring company’s requirements. For example, company XYZ might want only junior people living in the Boston, MA area. Based on that information we will only contact people that are in that geographical area, or other junior candidates that are willing to relocate. In this case the technology skills sets do not play a major role. However, rating, number of competitions, challenge history, and the candidate’s salary/contract preferences will determine if and when we contact a potential candidate.

Some companies try to fill positions by saying we want 5 years of J2EE experience with an additional 3 years of Oracle Forms, etc. We do not tend to work with companies that try and source candidates in that manner. With that being said the technology industry for the most part still recruits that way. I believe that we are identifying the right companies and the right individuals within companies that want to see competent software engineers, regardless of their specific technology skills. Once a hiring manager sees a TopCoder profile they get very excited to see the amount of information we can provide about a candidate, in addition to the standard resume.
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by gt494) | Reply
They were sent to service@topcoder.com. I did get one reply to a different question from that address. But it didn't even properly address that question, and I got no replies to my follow up e-mail. ;-(

I'm now confused about the Authorized to work in the US category. I take it this covers all sorts of different eligibilities. Are you saying they don't want to deal with H1-B eligible people? But I am not eligible in that way.
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by Parchandri) | Reply
If you could track down when (date/time) these emails were sent, we could check into what happened on our side.

- mike
Parchandri,
I'll be contacting you via email today to try to learn the details of your situation. You've got a very good TopCoder score and I'm confident that we can work with you if you're interested in working in the U.S.
Brian
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
Thanks guys. :)
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by mike) | Reply
Oh, one was actually to competitions@topcoder.com, 5th April.
One was to service@topcoder.com, 1st April.
so, what happened next.
did topcoder help our newzealander get a job?
i want to know the progress.
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by smartnut007) | Reply
+1

After taking time to go through the entire thread... I don't want to spend rest of my life in suspence. Imangine taking this one to my grave!

hmmm...

that opens up other more important questions...

Admins: Do you have TopCoder SRM's in hell/heaven (where ever we end up)... I cannot imagine a heaven without SRMs. On the other hand a hell with SRM will be hell-of-a-place :)
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by therealsachin) | Reply
+1
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by therealsachin) | Reply
Or, alternatively, the SRMs in hell have the div 1 250 as hard as a typical div 1 1000.
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by Ryan) | Reply
Or worse - the div 1 hard will be easier than a div 2 250. Now that's really hellish.
Re: Disappointment at no contact/answers (response to post by Ryan) | Reply
Imagine a world where Div1 coders are made to solve Div2 ones and vice-versa for Div2 coders.

So the Div1 coders are dissatisfied and the Div2 coders are too overwhelmed all the time :-)

Now thats HELL !
RSS