forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ]    NEXT >
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by Pops) | Reply
*post deleted*
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by Pops) | Reply
...when you have your first post here just because you are already rated.

...when you set your alarm clock 30 mins before the SRM and woke up an
hour earlier than it is supposed to ring.

...when you wonder how would TC members react oh the way Justin Long talks
about algorithms in Die Hard 4.
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by CamiloSoto) | Reply
... when you know that you are more likely to get help if you spell out simple words such as "you."
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
Wen after u read a post followin a certain pattern u exclaim: "This is a job for Rustyoldman!"
When you no longer think Rustyoldman is unnecessarily harsh towards newbie. :-P
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by amitz.sekali) | Reply
When you check this thread every now and then :)
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by vexorian) | Reply
... posts like the following seem out of place.

u no ur teh topcoder wen u red teh post fallowin a pat. u xclame -- "dis idda jorb 4 Rustyoldman"!1!1!

... posts like the above seem more likely to be satirical than erroneous based on the color of the poster's handle.

... you find yourself reacting like a colorist ratingist.
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
A batmobile...
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by AleaActaEst) | Reply
...and a movie.
Re: You know your[sic] a TopCoder when ... (response to post by CamiloSoto) | Reply
Talking about hating other coders is unlikely to get you many pluses, especially in a thread which implies that your feelings are part of the common experience of all TopCoders.

Yes, sometimes people (seem to) get minuses just for asking a question. Why? It might be because the same question was asked and answered by others, maybe several times. It might be because of how or where the question was asked. It might be because the question is easily answered with Google. It might look as though you are trying to get someone else to do your work for you. Perhaps people think there is some other easy way you should have used to answer the question yourself, like just trying it or looking in a manual or textbook. There are many ways to ask a question which discourage people from trying to help. My theory is that newbies (regardless of rating) are more likely to ask poorly. [Of course a particular poster could have a history of many bad posts so that many people automatically give minuses to nearly all their posts. This has happened.]

People are not obligated to help you just because you asked. They have busy lives with other things to do. If someone helps you they are giving you a gift of their time. If they choose not to help you that does not make them arrogant.

Here is nice page about how to ask a question [on the internet] in a way that is most likely get the answers you want.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Personally when I see a post on TopCoder where the poster is too lazy to use the shift key, saves 0.2 seconds by typing "u" and "ur" and generally seems to have taken the minimum amount of time possible composing their message. My reaction (which might be wrong frequently) is that the poster must think that their time is far more valuable than the time of the many readers who have are slowed down trying to parse the mess. That sort of thing is efficient for text messaging or a chat room where one person sends and one person reads and a short coded message is the fastest way to deliver the information. But this is a long-lived professional forum hosted by a private software company, not a casual conversation. Just look around at most of the other posts. If your style is not similar to them (carefully worded and properly edited to be easy to read), your post will stand out (and usually not in a good way).
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by nitdgp) | Reply
When you finally know there is a feature to notify you by email when a thread is updated :-P.
..When you learn lessons from experienced coders, ;)

pd: i apologize for my old post....
You missed his last paragraph entirely.
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by jbernadas) | Reply
just habit :P
Well, I actually think that the higher rated coders tend to be more helpful than the lower rated ones - Provided they have time to answer else they don't. At least I remember being a newbie (not like I improved that much) and TC forums and the chat really taught me things like dp, how to use doubles and flow algorithms.

Minuses will always be just minuses... We can't know for sure the minuses are because the person is low-rated or for other reasons, there is also no way to know the minuses are actually coming from higher rated people. Besides, I've seen gray and unregistered persons getting some pluses when asking good questions.
<< PREV    [ 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ]    NEXT >

RSS