JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
PopsEdit End/Home Key | Reply
Some people had some difficulty with how the End/Home key was acting in PopsEdit. Here is what happens (for the end key - reverse for the home key):

First time you hit end - goes to end of line
Second time you hit end (or if already at the end of line) - goes to end of visible area (minus the electric scroll value)
Third time you hit end (or if already on end of visible area) - goes to end of the code

Does this differ in how you expect it to work? If so - what did you expect?
Re: PopsEdit End/Home Key (response to post by Pops) | Reply
I expect the end key to send me to the end of the line, nothing more. I'll use PageDown if I want to go to the end of the visibile area.

Pops, another suggestion that you may want to implement if you have some spare time is the following: Suppose I have a code fragment like this:

for (i=0; i<100; i++)
if (a[i]>0) j++;

In emacs, the second line would be indented, which is a nice touch. I think the criteria that emacs uses is "if a line does not end in a semicolon, indent subsequent lines until some line does". This has the side benefit of catching accidentally omitted semicolons along the way, and it also makes one-line for-loops a bit easier to read.
When i'm in the competition I get all spaztic and hit the end key somewhere between 300 and 571 times when I only mean to hit it once, and when it sends me to the end of the code I go into an eppileptic fit and cry for my mommy.
Is there an option to disable that?
Re: PopsEdit End/Home Key (response to post by Garzahd) | Reply
Ah - I understand now. I'll add a configuration option to have it only stay on the same line.

As to the indenting - I'll take a look but don't hold your breath on that one. My general philosophy for design is to cover the majority cases and to heck with the smaller cases. I don't want to start putting in all sorts of special cases that will slow it down (like all other java editors). Example:

The rule you specified would have one special case off the top of my head. Some people code statments like:
if(blah)
{
more lbah
}

Using your rule the first bracket would get indented then the code gets indented further.

As I write this - the more convinced I am of just leaving it the way it is. Is the lack of indenting single lines really worth the time to fix (including the time to fix all the side effects)? I doubt it..

Just as a friendly FYI, my editor (EditPlus) handles End by sending you to the end of the line, and Ctrl-End sends you to the end of the doc, which I think is pretty standard.

Home is a little different, which I like. First press of Home sends you to the beginning of the text (not counting any tabs or spaces). Second press sends you to the beginning of the line. Ctrl-Home sends you to the beginning of the doc. I find this to work quite well.

-tim
Okay - PopsEdit v1.01 is available for downloading that will address some of these issues. Please read the release notes for the changes.
Re: PopsEdit End/Home Key (response to post by TimStevens) | Reply
Tim - with v1.01 - you can emulate everything but the home key's behavior. That is just too weird for me to worry about...
RSS