JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Working with algorithmic problems Revision History (3 edits)
Working with algorithmic problems
Hi! I would like to know which jobs do you think is the more similar to "solve topcoder problems".
I mean, for example, working on research in algorithms is really similar? And what about solving combinatorial optimizations problems for the industry??
I think maybe in this kind of jobs people usually spend months on doing heuristics or in case of research groups maybe spend more time proving some theoric problems which are closer to demostrate linear algebra properties than to think clever algorithms to solve a problem.
Maybe the only similar job is training high-school people for national olympiads in informatic??
Are most of high rated coders with algorithmic jobs? Or most of people just use his knowledge from high-school and now is working with something which doesn't use algorithms at all?
I love solving topcoder problems but I don't know if there exists jobs where I can do what I really love...

Thanks for reading... I know I made a lot of questions, any opinion (even with answers or not) is welcome!!!
Hi! I would like to know which jobs do you think is the more similar to "solve topcoder problems".
I mean, for example, working on research in algorithms is really similar? And what about solving combinatorial optimizations problems for the industry??
I think maybe in this kind of work the people usually spend months on doing heuristics or in case of research groups maybe spend more time proving some theoric problems which are closer to demostrate linear algebra properties than to think clever algorithms to solve a problem.
Maybe the only similar job is training high-school people for national olympiads in informatic??
Are most of high rated coders with algorithmic jobs? Or most of people just use his knowledge from high-school and now is working with something which doesn't use algorithms at all?
I love solving topcoder problems but I don't know if there exists jobs where I can do what I really love...

Thanks for reading... I know I made a lot of questions, any opinion (even with answers or not) is welcome!!!
I think maybe in this kind of work the people usually spend months on doing heuristics or in case of research groups maybe spend more time proving some theoric problems which are closer to demostrate linear algebra properties than to think clever algorithms to solve a problem.

Maybe the only job similar is training high-school people for national olympiads in informatic??