JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by kclune)
The only reason I looked for another job was that I was fed up with working on legacy systems.

I interviewed for (and was offered) a position at a rival company. I was offered a slightly higher salary plus a quantity of (company X) bonds which could be converted to cash on an annual basis should the company hit its targets.

The downside was that I would lose 10 days paid annual leave per annum and have to spend a year in support before any possible move back into development. The position was however a move towards newer technologies.

I was asked at the interview with company X why I was leaving and what my current employer could do to keep me. I replied honestly and said that the reason I was looking to move was to gain access to newer technologies.

When I resigned (or attempted to) I was informed that the system I worked on was being replaced and if I stayed put I would be working on its replacement which would be implemented using cutting edge technologies. I was also offered a 20% salary increase. As a result I reneged on my verbal agreement to join company x.

I am much better off than I was a year ago from a technical perspective. I am sure that my bridges with company X have been well and truly burned. On the flip side I am also sure that my threat of resignation from my current company will not be forgotten should we ever need to downsize.

On a final note I work in the city of London and most software developers in the financial arena are pretty mercenary because there are so many opportunities out there. I work with a few ex defence/avionics guys and they have always left positions on good terms because their market place was a lot smaller and word of mouth spread a lot quicker.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by kclune)
The only reason I looked for another job was that I was fed up with working on legacy systems.

I interviewed for (and was offered) a position at a rival company. I was offered a slightly higher salary plus a quantity of (company X) bonds which could be converted to cash on an annual basis should the company hit its targets.

The downside was that I would lose 10 days paid annual leave per annum and have to spend a year in support before any possible move back into development. The position was however a move towards newer technologies.

I was asked at the interview with company X why I was leaving and what my current employer could do to keep me. I replied honestly and said that the reason I was looking to move was to gain access to newer technologies.

When I resigned (or attempted to) I was informed that the system I worked on was being replaced and if I stayed put I would be working on its replacement which would be implemented using cutting edge technologies. I was also offered a 20% salary increase. As a result I reneged on my verbal agreement to join company x.

I am much better off than I was a year ago from a technical perspective. I am sure that my bridges with company X have been well and truly burned. On the flip side I am also sure that my threat of resignation from my current company will not be forgotten should we ever need to downsize.

On a final note I work in the city of London and most software developers in the financial arena are pretty mercenary because there are so many opportunities out there.

Employers know this.