JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions What makes a programmer more desirable to employers? Revision History (1 edit)
What makes a programmer more desirable to employers?
Hey topcoders. I'm in highschool and I want to become a better programmer.
By better programmer, I mean by what things employers think are desirable when looking for a programmer. So far I know programming contests are a great way to increase your raw programming skill, but real life programming as a job isn't like contest programming. I'm wondering what other activities and in what order one should be doing to prepare for programming jobs? I plan to go to university for compsci, so things that are taught by uni I can wait for uni to teach.

Do you think doing very well on programming contests is what employers are looking for and that's what I should focus on?

What's the pathway I should follow?

I should
-definitely learn more than 1 language

Should I
try to get into open source?
learn things like oop?
train for components compeititons on topcoder?
focus on doing programming contests (i'm still at beginner level) until i'm very good?
develop my own hobby software?
focus on one or do a combination of them? how much skill should i develop in each of them?

Thanks for reading!:)
What makes a programmer desirable to employers?
Hey topcoders. I'm in highschool and I want to become a better programmer.
By better programmer, I mean by what things employers think are desirable when looking for a programmer. So far I know programming contests are a great way to increase your raw programming skill, but real life programming as a job isn't like contest programming. I'm wondering what other activities and in what order one should be doing to prepare for programming jobs? I plan to go to university for compsci, so things that are taught by uni I can wait for uni to teach.

Do you think doing very well on programming contests is what employers are looking for and that's what I should focus on?

What's the pathway I should follow?

I should
-definitely learn more than 1 language

Should I
try to get into open source?
learn things like oop?
train for components compeititons on topcoder?
focus on doing programming contests (i'm still at beginner level) until i'm very good?
develop my own hobby software?
focus on one or do a combination of them? how much skill should i develop in each of them?

Thanks for reading!:)