JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: admission to MS Revision History (4 edits)
Re: admission to MS (response to post by Minilek)
Thanks for your response...

If your research record is impressive but not awesome, it doesn't hurt to impress them with non-research things too (e.g. GPA, programming contests)

Well, I could not phrase my question correctly. I don't have a great academic record, 8.26 average, with random grades in some core courses. So, I was asking how much would such average acads hurt my chances.. I was not talking about impressing with GPA, but compensating for my GPA with other things. Anyways - I got the message, what you were implying.

As for research - its evaluation is very subjective, except for the quality of conference published in. But, roughly I would say that considering - I was exposed to research only a year back - I have done atleast the equivalent work (and publications) of what an average Phd student in top 10 does in a year. However, in many of my papers I am the second author, as I am working with a Phd student. I hope this qualifies for 'impressive'. Also my set of research has been very broad, ranging a lot fields of computer science and various applications. I dont know whether Professors will like it or would prefer those who are more focussed on a specific area.

As, for Recommendation letters - what should be more important - letters from a very well known person, but with average appraisals or quite lesser known person, with whom I have actually worked with and who can provide concrete examples of my abilities, besides better appraisals.

Edit: Added the quoted thing, corrected strong typos.

If your research record is impressive but not awesome, it doesn't hurt to impress them with non-research things too (e.g. GPA, programming contests)

Well, I could not phrase my question correctly. I don't have a great academic record, 8.26 average, with random grades in some core courses. So, I was asking how much would such average acads hurt my chances.. I was not talking about impressing with GPA, but compensating for my GPA with other things. Anyways - I got the message, what you were implying.

As for research - its evaluation is very subjective, except for the quality of conference published in. But, roughly I would say that considering - I was exposed to year only a year back - I have done atleast the equivalent work (and publications) of what an average Phd student in top 10 does in a year. However, in many of my papers I am the second author, as I am working with a Phd student. I hope this qualifies for 'impressive'. Also my set of research has been very broad, ranging a lot fields of computer science and various applications. I dont know whether Professors will like it or would prefer those who are more focussed on a specific area.

As, for Recommendation letters - what should be more important - letters from a very well known person, but with average appraisals or quite lesser known person, with whom I have actually worked with and who can provide concrete examples of my abilities, besides better appraisals.

Edit: Added the quoted thing.

If your research record is impressive but not awesome, it doesn't hurt to impress them with non-research things too (e.g. GPA, programming contests)<\i>

As for research - its evaluation is very subjective, except for the quality of conference published in. But, roughly I would say that considering - I was exposed to year only a year back - I have done atleast the equivalent work (and publications) of what an average Phd student in top 10 does in a year. However, in many of my papers I am the second author, as I am working with a Phd student. I hope this qualifies for 'impressive'. Also my set of research has been very broad, ranging a lot fields of computer science and various applications. I dont know whether Professors will like it or would prefer those who are more focussed on a specific area.

Edit: Added the quoted thing.

[i]If your research record is impressive but not awesome, it doesn't hurt to impress them with non-research things too (e.g. GPA, programming contests)[\i]

[i]If your research record is impressive but not awesome, it doesn't hurt to impress them with non-research things too (e.g. GPA, programming contests)[/i]