JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Interview Question Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Interview Question (response to post by wrick)
Stumbled upon this topic while searching around, I figure since my company is sponsoring the upcoming TopCoder Open and I do a good portion of our interviewing I can probably answer this question for you.

Here is my take:

When interviewers (at least the ones that you want to work for) ask you to tell them about yourself they are trying to get at two things.

1) Is this person passionate about something. It doesn't really matter what (within reason of course), just that you are passionate about it. We see a ton of resumes and a significant amount of them look the same. What really sets people apart is passion. The way I see it, if you are driven about something that you aren't getting paid for, the potential drive you have for something that you_are_paid_for is huge. Its up to the company doing the hiring to put you in a place that you are going to want to succeed, but if you don't have that drive coming in the door, there isn't much we can do. Make sense?

2) Can you answer open ended questions. I know it is a pretty low level question, but there are few questions better at getting this point across. Think about it this way, the thing you should know most about is yourself, right? Well if you can't answer a question about yourself what does that mean for topics that you have less experience with. Playing Devil's Advocate, I'm sure a lot of you are going to say, "We can just lie". The whole, be your best self as opposed to being yourself. The fact of the matter is that the people doing the interviews have a lot of experience interviewing and reading people. Chances are, the person across the table from you can tell if you are lying or telling the truth. IMO, I would rather have someone be honest and tell me something less than impressive then for them to lie just to wow me.

If you, or anyone for that matter, has questions feel free to PM me or just post here, I am more then willing to answer what I can.

HTH

Chris Zuehlke
DRW Trading Group
Algorithmic Trading Group
Re: Interview Question (response to post by wrick)
Stumbled upon this topic while searching around, I figure since my company is sponsoring the upcoming TopCoder Open and I do a good portion of our interviewing I can probably answer this question for you.

Here is my take:

When interviewers (at least the ones that you want to work for) ask you to tell them about yourself they are trying to get at two things.

1) Is this person passionate about something. It doesn't really matter what (within reason of course), just that you are passionate about it. We see a ton of resumes and a significant amount of them look the same. What really sets people apart is passion. The way I see it, if you are driven about something that you aren't getting paid for, the potential drive you have for something that you_are_paid_for is huge. Its up to the the companying doing the hiring to put you in a place that you are going to want to succeed, but if you don't have that drive coming in the door, there isn't much we can do. Make sense?

2) Can you answer open ended questions. I know it is a pretty low level question, but there are few questions better at getting this point across. Think about it this way, the thing you should know most about is yourself, right? Well if you can't answer a question about yourself what does that mean for topics that you have less experience with. Playing Devil's Advocate, I'm sure a lot of you are going to say, "We can just lie". The whole, be your best self as opposed to being yourself. The fact of the matter is that the people doing the interviews have a lot of experience interviewing and reading people. Chances are, the person across the table from you can tell if you are lying or telling the truth. IMO, I would rather have someone be honest and tell me something less than impressive then for them to lie just to wow me.

If you, or anyone for that matter, has questions feel free to PM me or just post here, I am more then willing to answer what I can.

HTH

Chris Zuehlke
DRW Trading Group
Algorithmic Trading Group