JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Recent Grad Having Trouble Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Recent Grad Having Trouble (response to post by Elwaryn)
Entry level programming job is almost impossible to find. Most of the companies require at least 5 years. Hence I think it is better to go a roundabout way and apply for general help desk sort of positions for companies that have a development team. Once you are hired and worked for a bit it will be easier for you to move to the programming team.
One possible computer field that is relatively open is Networking which is where I am currently at. If you pass a couple of Cisco tests(CCNA, CCNP) you are basically guaranteed a good job. Also in entry level Networking jobs most tasks are repetitive and better done by machine then human and hence you can work on writing scripts that make these jobs automated. If you want to go to that route search for NOCC positions.
Your resume, in my humble opinion, needs more fluff. Add more projects that you have done, maybe for fun add more info about what makes these projects unique and difficult. Also make all the experience descriptions be in the past tense.
Good luck and most importantly never despair. It took me till middle of November to get a first real computer job and I graduated in May.
Also see if any of your friends, relatives, relatives of friends, friends of relatives of friends, relatives of friends of relatives of friends.... so on know of any openings they can get you into.
Also apply to Microsoft(I'll try to find the email of the recruiter and send it to you).. worst case scenario: you'll probably get a free trip to Seatle.
Re: Recent Grad Having Trouble (response to post by Elwaryn)
Entry level programming job is almost impossible to find. Most of the companies require at least 5 years. Hence I think it is better to go a roundabout way and apply for general help desk sort of positions for companies that have a development team. Once you are hired and worked for a bit it will be easier for you to move to the programming team.
One possible computer field that is relatively open is Networking which is where I am currently at. If you pass a couple of Cisco tests(CCNA, CCNP) you are basically guaranteed a good job. Also in entry level Networking jobs most tasks are repetitive and better done by machine then human and hence you can work on writing scripts that make these jobs automated. If you want to go to that route search for NOCC positions.
Your resume, in my humble opinion, needs more fluff. Add more projects that you have done, maybe for fun add more info about what makes these projects unique and difficult. Also make all the experience descriptions be in the past tense.
Good luck and most importantly never despair. It took me till middle of November to get a first real computer job and I graduated in May.