JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Tutorial Discussions Sorting Tutorial Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? (response to post by timmac)
Hi thanks for your responses.

I still can't find a solid incentive with theoritical value from your posts. Doesn't justify why universities and governments are hiring mathematicians all around the world; hiring them just to entertain themselves with interesting problems is not reason enough, IMHO.

I need technical reasons for the emphasis in areas like sorting. Read some while ago that string manupulating algorithms are more general, which could justify why sorting is highly regarded in research. Somewhere I heard sorting is a fundamental to algorithm design just like in calculus the "fundamental theorem of calculus" is. How so?

I will like to know what constitutes a fundamental problem worthy of study?

[edit: typo]
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? (response to post by timmac)
Hi thanks for your responses.

I still can't find a solid incentive with theoritical value from what your posts. Doesn't justify why universities and governments are hiring mathematicians all around the world; hiring them just to entertain themselves with interesting problems is not reason enough, IMHO.

I need technical reasons for the emphasis in areas like sorting. Read some while ago that string manupulating algorithms are more general, which could justify why sorting is highly regarded in research. Somewhere I heard sorting is a fundamental to algorithm design just like in calculus the "fundamental theorem of calculus" is. How so?

I will like to know what constitutes a fundamental problem worthy of study?