JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Cool Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Cool (response to post by dimkadimon)
Ideal pet project is just something that people use (or play if its a game), it doesn't really matter that much what's inside IMO, though the proper design will be good for yourself because it is easier to code when project is to grow beyond expectations and is to be maintained.
You can even make millions on several K lines pet project if it is something that many people will use, its very unlikely but there are examples.
For the topcoder design and development contests, yes, it is real work, real code which TC would use, but the pay is absolute minimum. I'd recommend rentacoder for freelancing; it has about same community size (i think all freelancers are registered both on tc and rac) but completes 100x to 1000x more projects a month; far larger percentage of their community find their terms acceptable. (edit: it doesn't mean RAC is better than TC for you personally; for particular coder TC could very well give larger averaged pay than RAC)
Re: Cool (response to post by dimkadimon)
Ideal pet project is just something that people use (or play if its a game), it doesn't really matter that much what's inside IMO, though the proper design will be good for yourself because it is easier to code when project is to grow beyond expectations and is to be maintained.
You can even make millions on several K lines pet project if it is something that many people will use, its very unlikely but there are examples.
For the topcoder design and development contests, yes, it is real work, real code which TC would use, but the pay is absolute minimum. I'd recommend rentacoder for freelancing; it has about same community size (i think all freelancers are registered both on tc and rac) but completes 100x to 1000x more projects a month; far larger percentage of their community find their terms acceptable.