JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Cool Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Cool (response to post by dmytry)
That is a very good suggestion. Although for most of my pet projects I rarely use any software engineering methods and just "bang it out". When the interviewers ask me how I solved my pet project I have no option but to describe my adhoc methods. This actually degrades their opinion of my skills.

It's just that real software development is too different from contests

I am starting to realize that this is the sad truth. I can see that TopCoder is trying to bridge that gap by having design/development contests. However, those contests have little appeal to me, because they look too much like real work.
Re: Cool (response to post by dmytry)
That is a very good suggestion. Although for most of my pet projects I rarely use any software engineering methods and just "bang it out". When the interviewers ask me how I solved my pet project I have no option but to describe my adhoc methods. This actually degrades their opinion of my skills.

It's just that real software development is too different from contests

I am starting to realize that this is the sad truth. I can see that TopCoder is trying to bridge that gap by having design/development contests. However, those contests have little appeal to me, because they look too much like work.