JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Why TopCoder is so good Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Why TopCoder is so good (response to post by amiune)
It has its ups and downs, like Orange_Cloud suggests. You can really compare once you've been in both industry versus TopCoder (software engineering wise).

While I see in your profile you've done some marathons I'm pretty sure that alone doesn't cover your bills. So try to make a living out of SE doing tc competitions and you'll see how challenging it is.

You can't not notice the trend in the participation from members in SE related competitions (all tracks except SRM and Marathons). Their participation gets large and skills grow fast in a year or two and then they fade out (as in don't participate anymore in any competition). It has happened to 95% of the great developers, designers, reviewers etc.

One would be inclined to say the competition wears them out (yeah right) but the more feasible explanation that I find is that either they finished college and can't get their bottom line to positive anymore or as their skills grow they seize other opportunities.
Re: Why TopCoder is so good (response to post by amiune)
It has it's ups and downs, like Orange_Cloud suggests. You can really compare once you've been in both industry versus TopCoder (software engineering wise).

While I see in your profile you've done some marathons I'm pretty sure that alone won't cover you bills. So try to make a living out of SE doing tc competitions and you'll see how challenging it is.

You can't not notice the trend in the participation from members in SE related competitions (all tracks except SRM and Marathons). Their participation gets large and skills grow fast in a year or two and then they fade out (as in don't participate anymore in any competition). It has happened to 95% of the great developers, designers, reviewers etc.

One would be inclined to say the competition wears them out (yeah right) but the more feasible explanation that I find is that either they finished college and can't get their bottom line to positive anymore or as their skills grow they seize other opportunities.