JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Round Tables General Career Discussions Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed Revision History (1 edit)
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by cep21)
I have done this before - and it has burned a bridge. However, I have never regretted it. I have had situations where I accepted a job - went through a rigorous background check, finally walked in the door months later only to find myself in a re-org. New boss, new team - one that was opposed to the very technology I was hired to work with in the first place.

You never know what's going to happen when you take a job, so I think your best bet is to look out for yourself first and foremost. Go with what you want and be open about it with the company you may have verbally accepted an offer with first.

You interview for more than one job - the company should accept the risk that an offer letter may be coming down the pipeline for you. You cannot always control the timing of the offers.

:edit: I should point out, that my reasons for accepting the other job was not related to money at all, it was the reputation of the organization and me wanting to be a part of that culture.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by cep21)
I have done this before - and it has burned a bridge. However, I have never regretted it. I have had situations where I accepted a job - went through a rigorous background check, finally walked in the door months later only to find myself in a re-org. New boss, new team - one that was opposed to the very technology I was hired to work with in the first place.

You never know what's going to happen when you take a job, so I think your best bet is to look out for yourself first and foremost. Go with what you want and be open about it with the company you may have verbally accepted an offer with first.

You interview for more than one job - the company should accept the risk that an offer letter may be coming down the pipeline for you. You cannot always control the timing of the offers.