JOIN
Get Time
forums  Revision History
Search My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
Forums Algorithm Discussions General Algorithm Discussions Re: You know your[sic] a TopCoder when ... Revision History (3 edits)
Re: You know your[sic] a TopCoder when ... (response to post by CamiloSoto)
Talking about hating other coders is unlikely to get you many pluses, especially in a thread which implies that your feelings are part of the common experience of all TopCoders.

Yes, sometimes people (seem to) get minuses just for asking a question. Why? It might be because the same question was asked and answered by others, maybe several times. It might be because of how or where the question was asked. It might be because the question is easily answered with Google. It might look as though you are trying to get someone else to do your work for you. Perhaps people think there is some other easy way you should have used to answer the question yourself, like just trying it or looking in a manual or textbook. There are many ways to ask a question which discourage people from trying to help. My theory is that newbies (regardless of rating) are more likely to ask poorly. [Of course a particular poster could have a history of many bad posts so that many people automatically give minuses to nearly all their posts. This has happened.]

People are not obligated to help you just because you asked. They have busy lives with other things to do. If someone helps you they are giving you a gift of their time. If they choose not to help you that does not make them arrogant.

Here is nice page about how to ask a question [on the internet] in a way that is most likely get the answers you want.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Personally when I see a post on TopCoder where the poster is too lazy to use the shift key, saves 0.2 seconds by typing "u" and "ur" and generally seems to have taken the minimum amount of time possible composing their message. My reaction (which might be wrong frequently) is that the poster must think that their time is far more valuable than the time of the many readers who have are slowed down trying to parse the mess. That sort of thing is efficient for text messaging or a chat room where one person sends and one person reads and a short coded message is the fastest way to deliver the information. But this is a long-lived professional forum hosted by a private software company, not a casual conversation. Just look around at most of the other posts. If your style is not similar to them (carefully worded and properly edited to be easy to read), your post will stand out (and usually not in a good way).
Re: You know your a TopCoder when ... (response to post by CamiloSoto)
Talking about hating other coders is unlikely to get you many pluses, especially in a thread which implies that your feelings are part of the common experience of all TopCoders.

Yes, sometimes people (seem to) get minuses just for asking a question. Why? It might be because the same question was asked and answered by others, maybe several times. It might be because of how or where the question was asked. It might be because the question is easily answered with Google. It might look as though you are trying to get someone else to do your work for you. Perhaps people think there is some other easy way you should have used to answer the question yourself, like just trying it or looking in a manual or textbook. There are many ways to ask a question which discourage people from trying to help. My theory is that newbies (regardless of rating) are more likely to ask poorly. [Of course a particular poster could have a history of many bad posts so that many people automatically give minuses to nearly all their posts. This has happened.]

People are not obligated to help you just because you asked. They have busy lives with other things to do. If someone helps you they are giving you a gift of their time. If they choose not to help you that does not make them arrogant.

Here is nice page about how to ask a question [on the internet] in a way that is most likely get the answers you want.

Personally when I see a post on TopCoder where the poster is too lazy to use the shift key, saves 0.2 seconds by typing "u" and "ur" and generally seems to have taken the minimum amount of time possible composing their message. My reaction (which might be wrong frequently) is that the poster must think that their time is far more valuable than the time of the many readers who have are slowed down trying to parse the mess. That sort of thing is efficient for text messaging or a chat room where one person sends and one person reads and a short coded message is the fastest way to deliver the information. But this is a long-lived professional forum hosted by a private software company, not a casual conversation. Just look around at most of the other posts. If your style is not similar to them (carefully worded and properly edited to be easy to read), your post will stand out (and usually not in a good way).

Here is nice page about how to ask a question in a way that is most likely get the answers you want.

Yes, sometimes people (seem to) get minuses just for asking a question. Why? It might be because the same question was asked and answered by others, maybe several times. It might be because of how or where the question was asked. It might be because the question is easily answered with Google. It might look as though you are trying to get someone else to do your work for you. Perhaps people think there is some other easy way you should have used to answer the question yourself, like just trying it or looking in a manual or textbook. There are many ways to ask a question which discourage people from trying to help. My theory is that newbies (regardless of rating) are more likely to ask poorly.

Here is nice page about how to ask a question in a way that is most likely get the answers you want.