JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by wleite) | Reply
The original intention when we wrote this up, was that round winners would only not be counted in *future* rounds, however, the more I think about it, the more sense it feels like it makes to not count the auto-advancers for point placement at all.

I'd welcome any additional thoughts before I officially make that call, though.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by t-mac) | Reply
I agree, removing all dependencies between round winners and the rest makes more sense
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by nika) | Reply
Although I think in practice it won't change much the final advancers, let me put a quick example of a possibly undesirable situation in the case points from past matches are recalculated:

In round R1 we had: A, B and C in the top 3 positions.
In round R2 we had: D, E and F in the top 3 positions.
So after 2 rounds, A and D advanced as round winners and we have the following TCO points standings:
Rank Coder Points
1 B 100
1 E 100
3 C 75
3 F 75

Now if past results are kept unchanged, if B or E win round 3, C and F are affected in the same way (they just go up one position in points standings).

But if past results are changed, if B is round 3 winner, C gets 25 extra points. While if E is the winner, F would get the 25 extra points.
This doesn't seem to make much sense for me, as it increases the effect of other coders' performance on each coder.

To be honest, although I advanced as round 1 winner, I prefer the system used last year, i.e. pure grand prix system.
It is easier to explain, and no exceptions or extra rules are required.
Points for the round winner could be increased from 100 to 150 or so, to guarantee that round winners would advance without any extra point, in case that outcome is what we were looking for...
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by wleite) | Reply
TCO18 Marathon Round 2 has begun - https://community.topcoder.com/tc?module=MatchDetails&rd=17179
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by hmehta) | Reply
Why is it not visible here?
https://www.topcoder.com/challenges/?bucket=ongoing
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by fafa87) | Reply
It is visible in Open for Registration Challenges: https://www.topcoder.com/challenges/?bucket=openForRegistration

We should surely have it in Ongoing Challenges too. We will work on it and make sure it appears there too :)
I think changing it would be bad for the reasons that wleite specified - specifically it would be really weird to be ahead of someone going into round 4, get a higher result than them in round 4, and then end behind them after round 4 due to someone else winning round 4 and giving them a score bump as a result of it.

I would advocate going back to last year's system too - it almost guaranteed winners a place at the finals, which feels enough to me...
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]

RSS