Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up | Reply
Hey all,

Check out the Algorithm and Marathon Competitions for TCO18 - just announced. The event calendar has been updated with all the dates so save them now! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Algorithm: http://tco18.topcoder.com/algorithm/

Marathon: http://tco18.topcoder.com/marathon/

Post any questions here.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by jmpld40) | Reply
When are you going to decide TCO Round 1 byes?

You said "Our next SRM is on Saturday, March 17 so be sure to compete so you could be eligible for one of the byes to round 2." So it means that the byes will be decided after SRM 731, but I want to know whether after SRM 732 or not.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by square1001) | Reply
The rules say "The 250 members who have the highest algorithm competition rating as of Friday, April 20, 2018 at 12:00 UTC -4...", so definitely after SRM 732 :-)
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by jmpld40) | Reply
Online Qualification Round 1A will be started at 12:00 or 21:00 ?
(EDT / UTC-4)

In http://tco18.topcoder.com/algorithm/schedule/ it's stating 12:00, but when I click on the date, it's opening https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=TCO18+Algorithm+Round+1A&iso=20180421T21&p1=98 which shows 21:00.
Which one is the correct one, 12:00 or 21:00 ?

Thanks.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by heavenhunter) | Reply
Sorry for the confusion! It is 12:00 - I fixed the link.
The Marathon section says:

The top 50 competitors from each round will earn at least 1 point.

Eight (8) Competitors who will accumulate the most points during all Online Rounds will advance to the onsite Championship Round.

Does the first statement apply to the lightning rounds or to all rounds? And is the second statement true? Earlier it said 12 would qualify...
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by PaulJefferys) | Reply
I believe the top 50 from each round earn points, including the lightning one(s).

There are 12 finalists total but 4 of them qualify as winners of 4 online rounds, so only 8 competitors qualify via points accumulated.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Just want to make sure everything is clear before the first lightning round starts (in a couple of days):

1) Still about the point raised by PaulJefferys, the first two paragraphs below, taken from MM rules, seem contradictory with the third one:
"After each Online Round, up to 30 of the next-highest scoring competitors [among those eligible, who have not already otherwise advanced] will be awarded points based on the following table."
"After each Lightning Online Round, up to 10 of the highest scoring competitors [among those eligible] will be awarded points based on the following table."
"The top 50 competitors from each round will earn at least 1 point."

2) Another question is about online round winner.
As he/she will advance, from the paragraph below I understand he/she won't receive any points.
For example, in the first round, the winner will advance and then the second place will get 100 points, the third 75, and so on. Is this correct?
Or will the round winner will get 100 point and then advance? In which case, the second place would get 75 points, and so on.
"After each Online Round, up to 30 of the next-highest scoring competitors [among those eligible, who have not already otherwise advanced] will be awarded points based on the following table."

3) For the following rounds, if someone who previously won a round competes, he/she will get no points and will be "skipped" for point distribution, right?
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by wleite) | Reply
1) Top 50 in each of the "regular" (non-lightning) rounds will get at least 1 point, rather than just 30. (This is partially because we're giving out 150 t-shirts)

2) Winner gets an automatic trip, rather than points. 2nd, 3rd, etc, will get the 100, 75, ...

3) Yes, once you get a trip you don't count for placement.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by t-mac) | Reply
Thanks t-mac!
All the clarifications make perfect sense :-)
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by t-mac) | Reply
What happens when someone wins one of the later rounds? Does he/she get removed from earlier round results and points are shifted or keeps the points earned there?
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by nika) | Reply
My understanding is that points from previous rounds remain unchanged as the rules says: "who have not already otherwise advanced".
I updated TCO points after R1 based on this assumption.
Anyway, it would be nice to have an official word about this.
What is the exact point distribution, that is, how exactly is it adjusted from 30 to 50 places?
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by fetetriste) | Reply
Everyone 31-50th gets 1 point.
Re: Algorithm & Marathon Competition Info is Up (response to post by fetetriste) | Reply
Hey!
We have clarified the points made in the forums in the rules. Check the rules page: https://tco18.topcoder.com/marathon/rules/
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS