||I agree that there is no Marathon member in the new team, but the website problems and inconvenients seem to affect more tracks and have been widely discussed.
Even though I never participated in Marathon competitions, I always remained as a spectator. Also in many SRMs I am always around to see the questions, the members that competed, the winners etc. It seems to be getting some hope the last few SRMs, but generally the number of participants is way small to what has been a few years back. I think the effect of participation in SRMs navigated to Marathon as well (assuming). As a member I feel bad about all that, because from what I can read from past forums the algorithm side has been such a unique community with so much passion.
If I do a personal estimation the following factors have affected the algorithm competitions. Well, I am just guessing, please don't get me wrong.
1. Bad Website experience (50%)
2. Constant Arena failures (20%)
3. Decline of forum use (for supporting new members and for discussing algorithm problems) (5%)
4. Lack of attention to algorithm competitors (Topcoder seems to be much about development and design) (10%)
5. Some problems with problems (there were times fun Marathons were scarce and SRMs were not 4 per month - and some people also say problems at SRMs are becoming rather difficult) (10%)
6. Discontinued SRM notifications (4% :))
7. (Always leave space for uncertainties)
Mimino has said it all some time in the past.
5 and 6 seem to be getting fine. I haven't heard about the problem 2 in a while. 1 is still a mountain but my gut tells me they are working hard. But they have to go a bit farther to win back the user base that is lost. In that process, website has to be organized. Algorithm content in the website and in forums may have to be very organized to make it attractive for new users. We at CAB, will try to constantly voice these.