JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Horrible site coverage | Reply
I must admit it's rather amusing that I had to go to Codeforces to get any information about the currently ongoing TCO. I wanted to see how the Marathon Finals and the Algorithm Semi-finals went. My steps:

1. Go to www.topcoder.com/tc (seemed like the obvious place) - I got redirected to my profile.
2. Go to www.topcoder.com - still my profile (apparently the three drop-downs above should be enough for a site navigation). Which, in fact, may be enough, but I couldn't find where is the list of editorials and/or match statistics. Is there a link?
3. Go to tco15.topcoder.com, although it usually gets updated long after the end of the TCO. This is also the case now.
4. Go to arena.topcoder.com (in case the matches are still there) - no luck though. Same thing with the standard arena.
5. Go to the forums - still nothing.
6. Go to Codeforces - and there it is, right on the first page - both of the things I searched for.

Maybe you *should* do something about that, don't you think?
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by espr1t) | Reply
Actually the TCO15 website is pretty updated with Algorithm semifinalists standings, photos, etc and there is also a live feed of the event going on on the TCO home page which I've linked to a few times in the forums and all over social media.

I'm not going to deny we can do better and will but tell me where you want it? Do you guys not follow us on social? We thought posting a lot on social (Twitter and Facebook) would be good to keep things updated. We've also been posting photos on the TCO site.
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by jmpld40) | Reply
I also can't find any TCO results. It would be nice to see them on the topcoder.com/tc front page. I don't follow twitter and facebook closely.
Okay, I'll elaborate the part with the TCO site:
1. I went to tco15.topcoder.com
2. The finalists were posted there, but yet again, I was watching the finals livestream anyway, so I knew who's on the finals. I was curious why tourist wasn't there. Please note that giving the five finalists is different than having a "semifinalists standings" as you've mentioned. Or maybe I have missed it again, which means that I'm either blind or it is really non-obvious. (I'd be happy if you can give me a link to these standings, and I'll stand corrected.)
3. I clicked on Algorithm, and there's nothing more, except full list of competitors and who got to the finals. This didn't however, answer the question of why Gennady failed (Did he fail a task? Did he didn't submit? Was he challenged?).
4. I clicked on Marathon and it's at the same state.
5. I gave up.

I do, in fact, follow TopCoder on Facebook, but apparently it has decided these posts were not relevant enough for me. This may have happened because you have posted 13 stories in less than 10 hours and Facebook tends to hide those, because it makes people opt-out of pages because of too much spam.

Please excuse me if I offended you in any way - I just couldn't find the info I was looking for, which I was able to do with the previous version of the website. For me that's a degradation (and it may be just me - that's up to you to A/B test or just ask the users).
Agree with espr1t word by word. I actually tried even more.
I went to tourist's profile page to see the 'list of competitions' he competed in and hoped to find the 'semi-finals' there with a clickable link to the room. But what did I find?

1. First of all the rating graph is just a fancy UI with no clickable links anywhere.
2. If you click on competitions that just gives you a nice grid of an arbitrary list of contests which he competed in (no particular order). It shows only a small fraction of competitions and there is a 'Load More' button to see more.
3. The list of competitions has no clickable link anywhere.

Is there any place at all where we can find clickable links to the room for a particular user?
Don't worry, I am not offended. I agree it needs to be better.

I have run around for almost a week at TCO trying to keep members as updated as possible through social media. But if you're telling me you missed it all, we need to regroup. This day and age, social media is THE most popular method to get info. Can you tell me where CodeForces got their info about TCO for their site?

Also, anything TCO related is on the TCO site. quesks and I have been working hard to keep this as updated as possible as things happened. That is where you need to go. And if you can't find TCO site on the TC website, again, that is a problem and I have already talked to the team about this. It will be improved. I promise.

We were able to do a live stream of the coverage and all those videos are here and were promoted on social as well as in the forums:
http://www.twitch.tv/topcoder_official/v/24876302

What do you guys want to see, know? If social media is not working, give me some ideas. I've already reached out to some folks to give us competition round followups and those should be posted within a week.

We want to bring the TCO to more community members - that is our goal and if I'm not doing a good job of that, I want to improve.

Thanks for the feedback.
Great blog post by Petr in case you missed it:
http://petr-mitrichev.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-8-connected-day.html
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
Just wanted to quickly address them from the product side. Firstly, thanks for the feedback. Since the new profile & dashboard is fairly fresh, bringing up these usability concerns helps us quickly diagnose issues and fix things - so please keep them coming.

To quickly address the points mentioned by prunthaban & espr1t:

1. Linking TCO from the current site: To echo what jmpld40 said, we want to keep members as updated as possible. In the future, that should include a way for members to find TCO site & information from the dashboard and other parts of the main site. Point taken.

2. Ability to click from the graphs: Good point, we have it on our list to figure out an easy way to navigate from the graphs as well.

3. Ordering of SRMs: Right now, they are ordered by the most successful and we have some known issues where the ordering is not correct. We are in the process of fixing it and for future, we also want to provide different sorting options.

4. Clicking on SRMs from the cards: That should be working. If not, can you let us know the profile, browser & os and we will look into it.
A few more really good blog posts have been added here as well:
http://tco15.topcoder.com/blog/
Can you tell me where CodeForces got their info about TCO for their site?

cgy4ever wrote a blog post about TCO at Codeforces.
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Only after seeing the picture in this blog post I found out what happened to tourist. Turns out his medium failed and he didn't advance to the final. Even this blog post has little information about what actually happened. I would like to know why his medium failed and whether he tried any challenges and so on. All other sources I tried have nothing. tourist's profile gives a bunch of random SRMs and it is almost useless.

Guys, I am seriously disappointed. TCO is the biggest coding event on the planet and this sort of information should be easier to find (like in the past). Why should we have to dig it out?
How to find problem statements from algorithm and marathon in new theme? I was able to find it only in old theme.
Is there any way to see submissions/presentations from Hackathon?
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by Sky_) | Reply
Past SRMs/Algorithms including TCO15
Past Marathon Matches including TCO15
TCO15 Final Hackathon Presentations
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by mnorouzi) | Reply
>> Past SRMs/Algorithms including TCO15
How to access it without direct link?

When I click on challenge name I see this page http://i.imgur.com/AsFHAso.png I don't see any link to problem statement.

TCO15 Final Hackathon Presentations
thanks
Re: Horrible site coverage (response to post by Sky_) | Reply
Past SRMs/Algorithms including TCO15
>>How to access it without direct link?

Learn -> Competitive Programming -> Past SRMs

>>When I click on challenge name I see this page http://i.imgur.com/AsFHAso.png I don't see any link to problem statement.

You are right. Try this link which I got to by clicking on Registrants. I'll submit a bug for the Challenge detail link not working.
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS