Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Modular Inverse | Reply
I noticed Petr uses modular inverse a lot when doing problems that have solutions mod some prime. I was wondering what he uses them for and why they are useful. Most of the time I read his code and follow it up until he starts using mod Inv and then I'm lost. Anyone care to explain?
Re: Modular Inverse (response to post by tehqin) | Reply
Inverses are useful for dividing...

Why the minuses? You people always minus me!
Imagine you want to calculate a/b mod p,where a divides b, and b is prime to p, i.e gcd(b,p)=1,then:
(a/b)mod p=a*inv(b,p) mod p.So you get ride of dividing! this is most useful when a and b are really big numbers.
for example when you want to find n!/k! mod a prime number p,when k<p.you can easily solve this even when n and k are of order of million.>
Try this jewel of a thread: http://forums.topcoder.com/;jsessionid=E73D10D2028B213BD1C7EFA53C64F262?module=Thread&threadID=567836&start=0&mc=5#767654

Hope it helps :)
Re: Modular Inverse (response to post by obi1kenobi) | Reply
Wow thank you, there have been many times where I wanted to divide under modulus but couldn't! This will definitely come in handy for future competitions.
Re: Modular Inverse (response to post by Hadi_Asiaie) | Reply
Is there a way to replace division so it works under modulus when you are modding by something that is not co-prime to b?
Basic answer - no. If you need to calculate a / b mod c then you need at least to know a mod (c * gcd(c, b))
Re: Modular Inverse (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
Not sure why you got minused here, because technically your answer was correct, albeit short.
If the modulus is not prime, the existence of the inverse is not guaranteed, at least as far as my understanding of math goes. Fortunately, 99% of competition tasks provide prime moduli, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Re: Modular Inverse (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
Maybe because your answer "Inverses are useful for dividing..." doesn't add much knowledge to the poster of the original question....
RSS