JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >
Cookbook update (new prizes!) | Reply
We keep writing recipes for Algorithm and Marathon chapters, and to provide a bit of extra motivation for you, we're adding short-term rewards.

The first 12 contributors to deliver an approved recipe for one of these chapters, will win a TopCoder t-shirt. The t-shirt will be shipped out as soon as the review board approves the recipe - no waiting for the book to be published!

Each of the eligible recipes must be done by only one person from start to finish; with optional comments from other members. This means that you have either to finish a recipe you have already submitted in round 1 or 2, or write a recipe nobody has started yet. If you want to write a recipe but are unsure what it should look like, check the accepted recipes and/or contact me for comments on the specific recipe.

We also want to remind you that the top 60 contributors on the Cookbook project receive a free copy of the Cookbook once it is published. So far it is virtually every competitor, so hurry up to grab your freebies!

Next posts in this thread will provide the list of recipes with notes on their status. "accepted" means that it is approved (and is getting a t-shirt ASAP); "started by" means that there is a draft of this recipe somewhere so its author can finish it; "not started" means that anybody can write it; "needs some thought" means that I still have to invent some way to fit the material of this recipe in actual recipe format and welcome any suggestions.

Also note that comments on existing recipes are welcome, however, minuses without explanation are not. If you minus a post because you dislike the poster, it's ok (from process point of view); but if you think the recipe is somehow flawed, please comment this, so that we can improve it (and honor your contribution appropriately).
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
I want to write about submitting the solution how can I do that ?
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by TeCNoYoTTa) | Reply
Just write the recipe and post it as a separate thread to http://forums.topcoder.com/?module=ThreadList&forumID=534587 (assuming that you're going to write about Algo).

This recipe should describe the required structure of the solution, with limitations that apply to submitting it - memory and time limits, allowed languages and their compilers/versions, allowed libraries etc.
i have a recipe but i think it's not so difficult !
given n which is an integer
and an array contains n-1 element "Random Arrangement" which is all numbers between 0 and n except one number how can i get this number using a program which its complexity is O(N).
example :
n = 7
Array[] = {0,3,5,2,7,4,6}
the output should be 1
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Seddik) | Reply
I think this task is too simple, too specific and not common enough to be included. Cookbook should contain generic things which are not evident, and this is a one-liner.
Huh, and now we see three different recipes about using Dijkstra's algorithm! That's no good. Maybe it would be better if coders must notify in advance in this thread that they start some recipe or ask one of copilots via e-mail about actually free ones?
Wait, so this Cookbook won't be free? :( I thought it was going to be more of a free/open source/member driven project with the goal of writing a giant guide full of general programming information/algorithms. Similar to the tutorial section but more organized. I guess I was mistaken...

*sigh* any idea how much it's going to cost?

Edit1: I guess I could try contributing to get a free copy, I gotta allocate some time for it first lol

Edit2: nevertheless, it feels weird having TopCoder milk our collective knowledge like that and sell it back to us for a profit...
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by frank44) | Reply
Don't really know why you've had this idea - it was clearly stated from the start that we write the book, and O'Reilly sells it. You do buy algorithm books written by other people, don't you?

The draft version of the book is going to stay in the wiki, I think. As for the price of the book, I think we haven't set the price yet.

Well, people who are "milked" are paid for their milk, what's so weird about it? People who wrote educational content were paid as well. TopCoder isn't taking any of writer's payment, all profit from the book will be distributed between O'Reilly and book's authors.
Hi Nickolas, I have post my ideas about solving maximum bipartite matching problem, but I wonder why the status is still Not started ..
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by acerwei) | Reply
The status is updated not automatically but by hand. I'll be updating the statuses after I read the recipes thoughtfully and post comments to them.
Is there a way to put code snippets like these ones

http://forums.topcoder.com/?module=Thread&threadID=332780&start=0
http://forums.topcoder.com/wiki/display/tc/Algorithm+Overview?module=Thread&threadID=328725&start=0

in the book as an appendix or something or they don't fit into the book style?
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by amiune) | Reply
If you need them in your recipe, you can put them there, no problem, we're going to have a lot of code in recipes. Not sure about appendix though.
Is it still possible to suggest recipes that are not yet in the structure?
If yes, I'd want to suggest and write "Choosing programming language" (for both Algo and Marathon): for example, if some problem uses long arithmetics, it's may be beneficial to use Java. Similarly for regular expressions, CSV parsing and for different time constraints.
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by kit1980) | Reply
Sure, I'll be adding them to the list. Just make sure to cover a lot of detail in these recipes.
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >

RSS