forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Cool | Reply
Topcoders have an edge over others.
Re: Cool (response to post by mistr305) | Reply
This is what I used to think. Honestly I haven't noticed this edge during any of my job interviews. Most companies that I applied for knew that I do TopCoder and yet they still asked me to solve simple coding problems. Whats the point in that?!? - why can't they just look at my TC profile and my past solutions.
Re: Cool (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
At least it creates a good feeling about you in their subconscious mind (Thats what I think) which will reflect in their feedback I assume.
Re: Cool (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
I've had 3 rejections, despite thinking that I solved the problems during the technical interview correctly. They never even told me why they rejected me.
Re: Cool (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
This could be true in some countries, but the majority don't even know Topcoder. And even when you explain it, they'll probably think you're crazy :D ( because It's hard to explain to someone "why TopCoder is important" in 10mn, unless you have a trick ? ).
Whats the point in that?!?
Entertainment?
Re: Cool (response to post by vexorian) | Reply
So basically they enjoy failing people for no particular reason? Not very entertaining for me...
Get on the phone and ask them.

You have devoted your time and effort to interview so it is only reasonable you obtain some feedback to help you in the future.

Note - I assume you didn't make any obvious mistakes such as turning up to the interview in a tracksuit clutching a can of lager etc.
Re: Cool (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
These were all phone interviews and I cannot contact the interviewer. I emailed the recruitment officer, but she said they are not allowed to tell me. It is very difficult to improve if you don't know what you did wrong.
Re: Cool (response to post by AjJi) | Reply
This could be true in some countries
Tell me about those countries, I'm going there :)
I never said they weren't mean.
IMO it would be better to have a good pet project (that other people use) to show off, ideally some software that you made yourself and sold even if you didn't make much profit. It's just that real software development is too different from contests. It's almost like if you apply for a job at construction site and you mention rank at weightlifting competitions - I wouldn't expect it to make much difference.
Re: Cool (response to post by Orange_Cloud) | Reply
I think it is better to say that it is true for some companies, rather than countries. I know that all the "big players" like Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook all know about TopCoder. Probably also many other companies, especially those that have sponsored TopCoder events.
Re: Cool (response to post by dmytry) | Reply
That is a very good suggestion. Although for most of my pet projects I rarely use any software engineering methods and just "bang it out". When the interviewers ask me how I solved my pet project I have no option but to describe my adhoc methods. This actually degrades their opinion of my skills.

It's just that real software development is too different from contests

I am starting to realize that this is the sad truth. I can see that TopCoder is trying to bridge that gap by having design/development contests. However, those contests have little appeal to me, because they look too much like real work.
Re: Cool (response to post by vexorian) | Reply
Whatever their motives are, I think it is just bad practice not to tell the interviewee why they failed, and it discourages the interviewee from applying ever again. All I ever received was a general impersonal message of the form: "We are sorry, but your current skills didn't match any of our positions. Please apply again.". This is a real slap-in-the-face, especially considering that I have spent about 3-4 weeks preparing and going through the process. It also shows that they really don't care.
Internal Error

Your request could not be processed. Please inform TopCoder.