NASA Tournament Lab
Software Forums
TopCoder Cookbook
High School Matches
Sponsor Discussions
Search Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Forums Round Tables Evolving Strategy The TCCC: A Difficult Decision [ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >
The TCCC: A Difficult Decision | Reply
After much deliberation TopCoder has decided to omit the TCCC from our schedule of tournaments. We know that many of you will be disappointed by this news and I assure you that this has been a difficult decision that has not been undertaken lightly.

There are multiple reasons for discontinuing the event, including greater sponsor interest in the TCO and the fact that the TCO generally draws more collegiate participants than professional participants.

We believe a focus on the TCO as our one premier event of the year will serve us better than two smaller annual events. We can now concentrate the full energies of the events team and all of our events resources on the TCO, which has become the industry standard for onsite competitive programming tournaments.

We hope you understand the reasons behind the decision and we're now looking forward to making the next TCO even better and more exciting than ever before.

- mike
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by mike) | Reply
You posted this in the "Evolving Strategy" forum.

Does this imply that part of the reason for your decision is a shift in strategy to lessen (further) TC's commitment to Algorithm contests?

It just seems like yet another nail in the coffin.
Will you be increasing the number of TCO on-site participants as a result?

EDIT: Because if you do, this could mean better chances for some of us to get on site than having the two, and that's a big win.
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by eraserhd) | Reply
Didn't they already increase the number of advancers? If they do it again, that would mean 100 advancers in algorithm? That would be awesome... Though I think it is unlikely.
Ouch, this hurts.

Not only another (slightly bigger) chance to go onsite evaporates, we are also left with just one tournament a year. ("we", that's the students.) But I like the tournament structure with multiple rounds we have to survive. It's more exciting than regular SRMs. So is there maybe a tiny possibility for another kind of tournament without the big prizes? (And maybe not only for students.) Then we still have two tournaments a year.
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by eraserhd) | Reply
I think the current number of onsite advancers is already big enough that further increasing it will reduce the "value" of the onsite finale.
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by mishastassen) | Reply
Why is it "another"? What other chances evaporated?
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by ntrefz) | Reply
Actually I mean 1 of 2 chances evaporates. Not well formulated.
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by superkinhluan) | Reply
The population of active competitors is also growing though. Does TC want the top X competitors advancing, or the top X% advancing? (not a rhetorical question; I don't know the answer)
:(
At first you stop giving t-shirts to qualification advancers, now this.
mike - you probably should have changed your picture before posting that! Looks like you are sooo happy about the decision

:)
Excellent, my summer vacations just lost all meaning :(.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the Google CodeJam. Hopefully it with the SRMs will be enough to keep me distracted.
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by NeverMore) | Reply
The reason I posted here is because I had to choose somewhere and this seemed appropriate at the time. Perhaps it was the wrong choice, but I wouldn't read too much into it. This decision affects all competition tracks of the TCCC - not just the algorithm track. This decision was certainly not targeted specifically at algorithm competitors.

- mike
Re: The TCCC: A Difficult Decision (response to post by Pops) | Reply
:(

How's that?

(I submitted my new picture 4 weeks ago - what gives?)
Forums Round Tables Evolving Strategy The TCCC: A Difficult Decision
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >

RSS