JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >
TCX coder trading game | Reply
Ok - I can't remember who or when, but a while ago there was a suggestion that it'd be nice to be able buy and sell coders, similar to stocks, where their 'value' is related to their rating. So, over the last few days, I figured I'd try to make a site for it:

http://padster.gyronet.org/tc/TCX/index.php

Like any web app it's still in beta mode, and will hopefully look nicer over the next few days, but feel free to give it a shot - all bugs/suggestions are encouraged. There's not much to do currently, but with any luck it'll get a bit more interesting around the next SRM.
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by sql_lall) | Reply
OK, you have too much time on your hands.
You should use your talents for good and not evil.

:-)
I think it was Eryx.
Neat site.

I'm trying to use my insider knowledge to dominate things fairly early, but unfortunately half the coders I'm searching for aren't found. How recent of a data feed are you using?
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by TheFaxman) | Reply
* I get the data from the active coder list after each SRM - any coder with >= 10 ratings is in the database. This means if you're friend is a good coder, and a new member, you can't buy them when they're artificially low.
* Before each SRM the market is closer, then opens again once the active coder feed is updated, and after all the net worths update.
* The rating/1000 and volatility/250 are hardcoded, if people can think up a better pricing system i'm all ears.
* [handle]dplass[/handle[...you're trader id is lower than mine. Q.E.D

Edit:
The server isn't the best, apologies if it goes down. Because of this, I don't store any histories, buy might later if enough people use it.
It's a very good thing ivern is not in the office today, this would be a major productivity killer.
Will there be any regulation to prevent inside trading based on purposedly doing very poorly in several competitions, buying your own stock and then competing on a normal level?

;-)
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by TheFaxman) | Reply
Seems like there isn't much productivity to kill... ;-)
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by NeverMore) | Reply
Some of us can multitask

I made it to last place quick enough, time to get back to work
nice site:P
lol i invested in myself 1000...So what happens if i gain in the next srm +x rating points?
Do i get like x monney?
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by tc_flo) | Reply
My impression is that if your rating goes from w to x and your volatility goes from y to z, you'll end up with (y*4+w)/(x*4+h)*1000 "dollars".

Thought - this might give too much emphasis on volatility? If "net worth" is rating/1000+volatility/250, my worth before SRM 333 would have been 2.512+1.252=3.764 and my worth now would be 2.363+1.812=4.175, and I didn't even hit the rating change cap - I don't think my worst drop in 5 months should up my worth. Perhaps only rating should be considered?
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
What about putting a bigger divisor for the volatility part so it only affects at most 5% of the rating part? Say, 5000 or 10000? I think volatility is a good part of the game as well.
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by tc_flo) | Reply
I thunk insider trading must be disallowed.

Otherwise I can buy short positions of TAG (do not confuse with Tag-It Pacific, Inc. AMEX:TAG)
Re: TCX coder trading game (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
Or perhaps it could be set up as an auction (with new issues created in response to player demand somehow)? Perhaps even with player-to-player sales? Insider tip: sell short on jmzero
At what time are the stock prices updated? If I buy shares one second after the system tests for coder X have finished, which price will I get? :)
[ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >

RSS