Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >
Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? | Reply
Ok I want some really juicy stories here and nothing less :)

My own experiences are quite boring. Probably the weirdest was in a computer science lab that had a tutorial going on, which I was not part of. All these people around me were talking and it was really hard to concentrate.

Once I did an SRM at my dad's work. It was one of the TCO qualifiers and I made a very silly one-character mistake that caused me to miss out on the qualification. When I realized my mistake, I screamed in terror and banged my head on the floor (as you do). Only then it struck me that I am at "work" and people are trying to work quietly.

On the topic of screaming, I once did an SRM at 4am at my house. I "accidently" screamed, completely forgetting that my parents are trying to sleep. I then used my pillow to muffle the sounds, but it was too late. I guess some people take SRMs more seriously than others :)
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Online Round 2 took place during the last IOI in Poland. We had to get up in the middle of night, walk like 1.5 km from the dorm to the local school, gather at a specified entrance and then the security let us in. Nevertheless, we _did_ trigger an alarm in the room where we were supposed to compete ;) And the competition was in the night after the final ceremony and a celebration party... and you can imagine the state we were in :)
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
The last saturday, when round1 (TCO06) was, I had to go at the wedding of one friend. Both events had to start at the same time, 7:00 PM and I didn't know what to do! So, I skipped the begining of the wedding, I left my girlfriend alone there just to go in the town and to find an internet cafe. But the most interesting thing was to convince the boss that it's safe to install java at one computer. Finally he accepted and I had a chance to advance. After all the wedding was fine!
A year ago, when an internet connection in India was expensive (to me, at least) and unreliable, I used to participate from cyber-cafes near my house. There were quite a few of them, and I'd have to install Emacs, DJGPP, and the JRE nearly each time...
Anyway, the Round 1 of Google Code Jam India was going on, and just as the coding phase was about to end, the connection went off at the place (used to happen quite frequently, so no surprise). And then I had to run to another place to try and submit before time ended, and the JRE wasn't installed there and downloading it in the few minutes remaining was out of the question (average speed about 3 kB/s), so I had to run to another place...

Basically, that's it ? I was literally running on the streets because of TC :-)

(If anyone's interested, I finally logged back into the arena with about 25 seconds remaining in the challenge phase, but I somehow did manage to sneak past that round and make it to the onsite...)
I did two SRMs in bed. I didn't have wireless at the time, so I strung a 100ft cable from the hub (on the 1st floor) to my bedroom (on the 2.5th floor). It barely reached so I had to keep stretching it. By the time I was done, it was hooked over several bannisters and under the door.

Sadly, I was too relaxed (being in bed) to code, and my rating drop in those two SRMs totalled nearly 300 points.

[Edit: got my units wrong]
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by dplass) | Reply
Wait a minute... So are you saying that from the first floor to your bedroom is nearly 100m? THATS a big house!
Perhaps he forgot to uncoil about 75m of that 100 meters ;)

Or his window is on the opposite side of the house so he decided to run the chord up and around it ;p
Oops, 100 feet not meters. The cable had to go about 20 feet from the hub to the stairwell, up 2 half-flights and one full flight of stairs, and another 10 feet from the landing to my bed.
Keep the stories coming, folks! We'll print some of the best responses in the TCO program. You can tell us which ones you like by using the +/- functionality.
Once I wrote a SRM from an upper berth in a train moving from St. Petersburg to Moscow. At 5am, as usual :) With 3 other people sleeping in the same compartment.
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by Petr) | Reply
just for the sake of curiosity, did you win that match?
At an internet cafe right outside Yokohama station (in Japan) at something like 2 or 3am. Since the trains did not start back up until around 5am, I had to linger around for a couple of hours before I could return home.
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by tywok) | Reply
No, it was SRM 275
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by Petr) | Reply
Oh, you shouldn't have competed and try in the next one to get to the 3500 rating!;-)
Re: Where was the weirdest place that you had an SRM? (response to post by aboyner) | Reply
That is an absolute classic.

I once did an SRM, and half way through one of my two year old (at the time) daughters started vomiting.

I actually went back to the SRM after she was done. Don't think I ended up to bad off actually. No worse than usual, anyway!
[ 1 2 3 4 5 ]    NEXT >

RSS